Year 6 Transition
The transition between primary school and high school is a very important time in a young person's life and can cause anxiety for both student and parents.
Students transfer to YMH from a number of schools but the main feeder school for YMH is Ysgol Pen Coch, Flint.
Wherever possible the aim is to make the transition as smooth as possible by:
- arranging visits and shared projects from year 5
- sharing information about the students' interests, skills and abilities
- discussing preferred learning styles and classroom organisation
- having social opportunities throughout the year for year 5 & 6 students to experience activities at YMH
- having dedicated transition days in the spring and summer terms
Parents are encouraged to visit informally and formally for social occasions and open days/ evenings, throughout the year.
Moving to primary to secondary school is an exciting and significant event in the life of your child.
It is an important milestone which, for many parents and teachers, marks a change in expectations regarding crucial life-skills such as independent working and self-organisation.
When students start at secondary school, they are expected to cope with a whole variety of new experiences and changes. This is why Maes Hyfryd ensures enhanced transition takes place for all students.
School Staff visit schools to attend Annual Reviews so that students are placed in the department most appropriate to their needs, Sensory or Key Stage 3