Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) is a means of selecting and organising symbols so that people with complex communication needs and their communication partners can communicate more easily.
PODD is an example of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC).
PODD stands for:
- Pragmatic – the ways that we use language socially
- Organisation – words and symbols arranged in a systematic way
- Dynamic Display – changing pages.
The aim of a PODD is to provide vocabulary:
- for continuous communication all the time
- for a range of messages
- across a range of topics
- in multiple environments.
Why use a PODD?
For communication ‘all the time’
There are many different types of communication aids. Some focus on providing vocabulary for a specific activity or schedule.
One of the important features of PODD is that it is an all the time strategy.